Monday, November 06, 2006

The route of all evil starts at Abercrombie

*all pics taken from Abercrombie's catalogue. All the models in these pics are under the age of 18 :)



































Being a broke grad student, I find it fun to torture myself by shopping for things I cant afford. Yesterday morning, after workingout for 45 minutes, I rewarded myself with a field trip to Victoria's Secret. I stumbled on a new push up bra, one that adds way more padding, and now my girls have a sexy little secret of their own. I showered myself with the new Dolce scent, and discovered a new passion for frozen yogurt. And just as I was about to leave the mall, I passed by a dark, and cold little cave playing annoying club music. I peered into the window and to my astonishment discovered some absolutely adorable little outfits hanging right by the large, framed, half-naked, 12 year old girl. So, against all doubts, I walked into the store and began collecting a plethora of tops and dresses to try on, all in extra small and size 0 (which is my normal size everywhere else). To my astonishment, they do not even fit over my chest. Mind you, I weigh 110 pounds. I exchanged the ex smalls for mediums and still way too snug. I am a size large according to Abercromie!

What the hell is wrong with them? Have they no soul what so ever? First, they find nothing wrong with displaying naked CHILDREN on their walls and in their catalogues. How that is selling clothes is beyond me. But, i get it- sex sells, especially to high schoolers who are ever so anxious to experiment in that world. I dont agree with their logic, but I get it.

What I dont understand is how they can stand back and market these fake sizes when all of America knows how contagious eating disorders are. 1 in 3 women have some sort of eating disorders. Whereas men are measured more by their intelligence and by their bank accounts, women are constantly measured by the way the way our body curves or doesnt curve, how flat, straight, or round we are, by numbers and inches. Naturally, it would make anyone crazy and psycho. But cant we spare these young women from diving into such insecurities until later in life?

Abercrombie's main target market are young women still in high school and college. How may girls have gone in there and probably felt extremely insecure about their bodies because they fit into an extra large (which in most other stores would most likely be a small!!) I started my eating disorder when I was in Rome, where the majority of women weigh 90 pounds, so I know what they must be thinking. So Sad. Here's hoping they have to file Chapter 11 as the economy continues to crash.



LOVES!
mer