Wednesday, October 18, 2006

So Madonna of me













Growing up with a very starch, strict Catholic mother leaves a child resenting religion a little. I hate it when people are not open to learning about other cultures and beliefs other than what they were taught to believe in. Last Friday in the salon, I noticed that Mojgan, the esthetician, and probably one of the nicest human beings I have ever met, was wearing a red string around her left hand. I asked her what it stood for and she explained it is a Kabbalah practice. The string is supposed to remind and help a person stray from doing evil, gossiping, and help a person become a better individual. I’m certainly not in the market to change religions but I love this idea. Early this morning, when my eyes were still have swollen from not sleeping last night, Mojgan knotted a red string on my left arm 8 times. An hour later, I slipped off the wagon when laughing over how crazy Brit Brit is. Mojgan, in such a sweet manner, corrected me. I quickly zipped my lip and recovered gracefully. Unfortunately, not everyone is behind my new commitment. After telling my mother about my new challenge, she chewed my ear off, questioning why I would give up on being a Catholic after 27 years. I tried to explain the only thing I was giving up is all my bad habits but she still doesn’t get it. I don’t blame her though. She grew up being taught by nuns, way before Second Vatican occurred. Here’s hoping my string can last longer than a week.

Loves!
mer